Business Class on Singapore Airlines A380-800 from Melbourne (MEL) to Singapore (SIN)

I arrived at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport nice an early for this afternoon flight to Singapore. Check-in was a breeze as usual, and before long I was on my way to the lounge for some light refreshments.


Boarding commenced just as I reached my gate around 30 minutes prior to departure. Business Class passengers were boarded via a dedicated aerobridge to the upper deck.


I settled nicely into my seat 20A while the rest of the passengers boarded. I had a quick look at the menu and was looking forward to the meals on this flight.


After the doors were closed, we pushed back from the gate and only needed a short taxi to the runway before we were airborne.


Once the seat belt signs were turned off, I stretched out to relax while the cabin crew prepared for the dinner service. To start, I had mesclun with duckliver and duck confit. It as quite rich for me so I had a couple more slices of garlic bread to go with it.


For the main course, I chose the seared lamb loin with jus, broccoli, cherry tomato and pumpkin mash. The lamb was prepared nicely, and all the elements on the dish complemented each other very well.


For dessert, I had the macadamia ice cream with fruit coulis, which I found perfectly well balanced.


As we flew into the sunset, I flipped my seat over to reveal one of the largest fully flat beds in Business Class. The pillows, duvet and bedding make for a really comfortable way to travel long haul in Business Class. This may be the seat introduced to the fleet in 2006, but it has and will continue to serve Singapore Airlines well, until they get replaced of course.


The cabin crew progressively dimmed the cabin lights for the passengers to get some sleep, which I managed to get a few hours of.

At about an hour and a half prior to landing, the cabin crew began preparing for some light refreshments.


Based on the menu, the choice was obvious, and I had the nasi lemak. It was pretty filling for a refreshment, but I wasn’t complaining as I was starving when I got up. By the time I was done, the captain chimed in on the PA system to provide us with the latest arrival information. We touched down pretty much ahead of schedule, which is almost always a good thing.